iTunes. Podbean. Stitcher.

LIST OF EPISODES with links

Please click "Like" on Facebook.

Send me an email!

Thursday, August 27, 2015

ROCK AND/OR ROLL 090 - METALLICA: GARAGE DAYS RE-RE-REVISITED






BJ is joined by Fistful of Dave to discuss the early years of Metallica and to examine how the band's unique version of heavy metal developed over the course of the early demos and live performances.



METALLICA - HIT THE LIGHTS (METAL MASSACRE 1ST PRESSING)
METALLICA - HIT THE LIGHTS (METAL MASSACRE 2ND PRESSING)
METALLICA - JUMP IN THE FIRE (LIVE IN SAN FRANSISCO OCT .1982)
METALLICA - LET IT LOOSE (RON'S GARAGE DEMO MARCH 1982)
METALLICA - METAL MILITIA (LIVE SAN FRANSISCO OCT. 1982)
METALLICA - THE MECHANICS (POWER METAL DEMO)
RUTHLESS - THE FEVER
METALLICA - PHANTOM LORD (NO LIFE TIL LEATHER DEMO)
METALLICA - WHIPLASH (LIVE: METAL UP YOUR ASS TAPE)
EXODUS - WHIPPING QUEEN (1982 DEMO)
TRAUMA - SUCH A SHAME (METAL MASSACRE II)
METALLICA - NO REMORSE (KUSF DEMO)
ANTHRAX - I'LL TAKE YOU THERE (LIVE 1982)
METALLICA - MOTORBREATH
METALLICA - THE FOUR HORSEMEN
MEGADETH - MECHANIX
METALLICA - ANASTHESIA (PULLING TEETH) (CLIFF'S FIRST SHOW)
METALLICA - FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS (CLIFF'S LAST SHOW)



1 comment:

  1. Great episode guys! I had not heard most of those demos before and you guys filled in alot of blanks in Metallica history that I never knew. Dave, I think you might be the only person I know that was in on Metallica that early. My exposure to them came in Spring 84 from an older "sketchy" metal fan in the smoking area at high school (yes, they used to exist). "Dude, if you like REAL metal..." Anyway, he made a cassette for me with Kill Em All on one side and Ride The Lightning on the other. The instant attraction for me was that "percussive" crunch in the guitar sound and attack that you guys described. Then I told 2 friends, and so on... and so on. I can't remember any other band that hooked people from the first listen like Metallica. I vividly remember playing it for like 4 friends who had never heard it and jaws literally dropped. For me, Lightning is their high point and in particular Creeping Death. IMO, it is one of the top 3 metal songs of all time, just a perfect song. Never gets old!

    ReplyDelete